Have you ever noticed lumps on the skin, especially in your thighs, upper arms, abdomen, or buttocks? This is nothing but a harmless skin condition which is called cellulite. The majority of women, as well as men, find it as a body imperfection. Honestly, it occurs naturally, and it’s not bad if you do not want to eliminate them.
- 1 What Is Cellulite?
- 2 Why Is It More Common In Women Than Men?
- 3 Here Are Some Tips Which Might Be Helpful To Make Your Skin Appear More Smooth
What Is Cellulite?
In the medical aspect, cellulite is also gynoid lipodystrophy or local lipodystrophy. The normal fat cells present beneath your skin build up and push through a network of fibrous connective chords. When the fat moves in the direction of your skin, these networks of chords pull down, giving your skin an appearance of lumps.
Why Is It More Common In Women Than Men?
Men do have cellulite. It is less familiar among men as fat builds up in their bellies due to different types of connective tissue present under their skin. Hormones like testosterone in men initiate protein production, making the layer denser between connective tissue and skin thicker. Hence it becomes hard to push through the skin.
In women, more estrogen is produced than testosterone, as estrogen’s primary function is to stimulate the storage of fats. This leads to a thicker layer of fat underneath your skin and weaker fibrous connection chords, causing a lump formation on the skin.
- Several hormones like estrogen, insulin, and thyroid hormones are responsible for the generation of cellulite. During menopause, estrogen levels drop, causing a drop in collagen secretion, which helps maintain cellulite and build good skin.
- A person with a slow metabolism tends to accumulate more fat in the body as the body cannot burn fat as fast as it takes in fat.
- People who tend to eat many carbohydrates, fats, and salts have more significant amounts than people who don’t. Overeating salt may make your skin appearance worsen.
- It is more common later on in life as the skin loses its elasticity.
- Gaining weight makes the lumps more visible on the skin.
Grades Of Cellulite
Cellulite has three grades concerning its severity.
- Grade1- One can observe very little depression on the skin. This resembles an orange peel.
- Grade 2- One can observe depression on the skin, which appears like cottage cheese.
- Grade 3- The skin appears like a mattress.
Having cellulite does not make you imperfect. Treating cellulite is ultimately an individual choice. Similarly, wanting to get rid of it is entirely a personal choice. You cannot just completely get rid of cellulite at home, but you can use some tricks to minimize the appearance.
Here Are Some Tips Which Might Be Helpful To Make Your Skin Appear More Smooth
Use Caffeine Scrubs Or Creams
Caffeine constricts your blood vessels, which helps your skin appear more smooth by hiding those bumps. It improves blood flow, squeezes your blood vessels, and tightens your skin by shrinking your fat cells. One can use products containing caffeine like scrubs or creams.
Retinol is one of the most common chemical ingredients for skincare. Retinol helps boost the secretion of enzymes like elastin and collagen, which gives your skin a plumping effect.
Lymphatic drainage is one type of massage technique that effectively reduces lymphatic vessels, which helps in draining cellulite, which is a solution to cellulite. There is an increase in blood circulation, which helps in tightening the skin.
Eat A Balanced Diet
If you have a balanced diet, that will also help you reduce some weight which is beneficial for minimizing cellulite. Eating food that contains plenty of fiber helps remove toxins from the body, and hence it is an effective way to reduce cellulite. Including exercise in your daily routine will benefit you in different ways. It will help you not only in minimizing cellulite but also other health problems. The exercise may include simple squats or planks at home. Even 15 minutes of exercise every day helps in burning calories.
Drinking water is a solution to all your problems. Keeping your body hydrated is very important as in a dehydrated state, the cellulite may be more than visible. As dehydration will cause the skin to become thin, it will show more lumps.
Visit Your Dermatologist
One can always visit their dermatologist seeking their advice if they are persistent in getting rid of cellulite. Many techniques, such as Cellfina that help in lacing the connective band in thighs and buttocks, are good options. This is a semi-permanent method to get rid of cellulite.
Things To Avoid While Treating Cellulite
- One should avoid the intake of carbonated drinks as it can cause excessive dehydration, leading to lumps on the skin.
- Avoid choosing the first treatment for cellulite suggested to you. Every individual has a different body requirement, and the method of treatment that worked for other people might not be suitable for you.
- Please don’t be hesitant to seek dermatologist help and talk about your problem to them.
- Never feel insecure about your skin and take cellulite as an imperfection. Everyone has cellulite. With or without it, you are beautiful.
As mentioned above, these were some of the top methods to get rid of cellulite. However, the period for seeing effective results may vary from individual to individual. In addition, you might have to try multiple tips together to see effective results.